An increased front-to-back curve of the spine is called kyphosis. Kyphosis is an exaggerated, forward rounding of the upper back. In older people, kyphosis is often due to weakness in the spinal bones that causes them to compress or crack.
A slight bend causes few problems. Severe bending can cause pain and deformity of the body. The treatment of curvature depends on the age and the cause and complications of the curvature.
Symptoms of kyphosis
A mild bend may not cause any noticeable signs or symptoms. In fact, the upper back naturally has a slight curve. People with excessive curvature may experience back pain and stiffness.
Signs and symptoms of kyphosis may include:
- Falling shoulders forward
- Bending the person towards the ground
- Shortening of height
- Prominence in the shoulders
- Pain in the chest area and between the shoulder blades
- Difficulties in breathing
The cause of bending or kyphosis?
Various factors cause bending or kyphosis, but the most important ones are:
- Vertebral fractures
- Osteoporosis, osteoporosis is more common in older women and people who have taken corticosteroids for a long time.
- Destruction of the disc between the vertebrae, this happens mostly in the elderly because the discs flatten and shrink over time with increasing age and cause more curvature of the back.
- Incomplete development of spinal bones before birth
- Sitting incorrectly and keeping the spine bent for a long time
- Improper walking and pulling in too much from the chest
- Excessive and incorrect use of electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets, etc.
Complications caused by kyphosis
- Excessive bending of the back can cause a person to have digestive problems such as reflux or difficulty in swallowing food.
- Decrease in self-confidence, because it causes body deformity and makes a person not have a beautiful image of himself.
- Decreasing the quality of breathing, the chest sinks inward and the lungs will not have enough space to open specially in people who suffers from asthma
How is back bending or kyphosis treated?
The treatment of this problem will be mostly through sports exercises, especially yoga, and the corrective movements of yoga are highly effective in eliminating back bending. If a person starts treating his spine from his youth or adolescence, as soon as he becomes aware of the condition of his spine, this problem can be treated quickly, and within a short time, the curvature will be removed and the back will be straight.
But if it is treated during middle age or old age, it will take a much longer time to solve this problem, but with the persistence of doing exercises, this problem will be reduced in an amazing way, and the posture of the person's body and back will gradually become smooth. Doing exercises can change their life quality because their breathing quality changes a lot.